801 Busseron Street

PO Box 215

Vincennes

Indiana

47591

(812) 882-2280

Kolb Roellgen & Kirchoff  LLP

HISTORY

FIRM NAMES

 

1819-1838 - Samuel Judah

 

1838-1842 - Judah & Gibson

 

1842-1852 - Samuel Judah

 

1852-1854 - Judah & Usher

 

1854-1860 - Judah & Denny

 

1860-1867 - James C. Denny

 

1867-1868 - Denny & Reily

 

1868-1872 - Denny Reily & Johnson

 

1872-1881 - Reily and Johnson

 

1881-1886 - Reily Johnson & Niblack

 

1886-1889 - Reily & Niblack

 

1889-1899 - Reily & Emison

 

1899-1901 - James Wade Emison

 

1901-1907 - Emison & Moffett

 

1907-1917 - James Wade Emison

 

1917-1931 - Emison & Hoover

 

1931-1969 - Emison & Emison

 

1969-1979 - Emison Emison & Doolittle

 

1979-1986 - Emison Emison Doolittle & Kolb

 

1986-1990 - Emison Doolittle & Kolb

 

1990-2009 - Emison Doolittle Kolb & Roellgen

 

2009-2012 - Emison Doolittle Kolb & Roellgen LLP

 

2012-present - Kolb Roellgen & Kirchoff LLP

 

 

 

 

FAMOUS PRINT OF BATTLE OF TIPPECANOE

Lt. Emison pictured holding back General Harrison's horse

Displayed in hallway

 

RABB EMISON

WINNER PRESTIGIOUS

ABA EXCELLENCE

AWARD - 2003

Displayed in reception area

     A visitor to Kolb Roellgen & Kirchoff LLP is immediately immersed in the firm’s history.  This is intentional.  The first partner, Samuel Judah, began the practice in 1819 after walking from New Brunswick, New Jersey to Indiana.  His picture, along with those of other partners, hangs on the wall facing the front door.  On the same wall is the original letter of introduction of Samuel Judah, addressed to Judge Isaac Blackford of the Indiana Supreme Court, dated May 5, 1819.  In 1819, this was the equivalent of a law degree.  It is also proof of the law firm’s beginning date. Based on an article in the ABA Journal and an Internet search, the firm may be the fourth oldest continuing law firm in the country.

 

     The beginning date is important, but the difficult part is continuity.  The reception room wall displays the pictures of the partners who provided continuity.  The firm’s 200 years of continuity up to the present primarily relies on six partners: Samuel Judah, James C. Denny, George G. Reily, James Wade Emison, Ewing Rabb Emison, and Ewing Rabb Emison, Jr.

 

       The partners distinquished themselves in many areas.  Five were judges.  Four became State Attorneys or Attorney Generals.  Several went on to begin businesses in banking, insurance and trust.  Rabb Emison won the Spirit of Excellence award from the American Bar Association in 2003.  Current lawyers are listed as Super Lawyers or Best Lawyers and have been rated as one of the ten best lawyers in Indiana.  The firm itself has been an AV rated firm from the beginning of the Martindale-Hubbell rating system over 100 years ago.

 

     In honor of the firm’s 200th anniversary, a history of the firm entitled “Lunch with the Partners: Historical Vignettes from a 200 Year Old Law Firm” was published.  The book details the firm’s role in saving Vincennes University (several times), opposing slavery, creating the Brevoort Levee, getting presidents elected and building the Clark Memorial.  Much of the legal work was done over many years with a never quit attitude.  It is a tradition we are very proud to continue.  Click the book cover below for a pdf version of the book.

 

VINCENNES 1853

Lithograph displayed in reception area

CELEBRATED WISE WILL CONTEST

Capt. Reily on far right next to Benjamin Harrison soon to be President of the United States

Displayed in hallway

Book cover 2.jpg

FORMER PARTNERS